I am always changing, growing and learning. I have become fascinated with life itself and the amazing transformations that I undergo from day to day, month to month and year to year.
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Flotation Tanks
I just learned about float tanks, also known as sensory deprivation tanks. I came across this practice of floatation as therapy through a little book on places to find peace and quiet in Chicago. I was instantly intrigued by reading the description of the tanks and the benefits they are suppose to provide and the effects they can have on users. I started reading up on these tanks and have learned some interesting things. It seems that once deprived of your senses, your mind literally begins to take over, which makes a lot of sense, actually (no pun intended). When I first saw pictures of the tanks, however, I became frightened. I thought of how I would feel being enclosed in a darkened space and not being aware of my body anymore and I figured that could be used as a torture mechanism, which I’m sure it has been! The tank isn’t locked and the water seems to only be about 10 inches deep so maybe it just seems more intimidating than it actually is. But through reading about other people’s experiences, anxiety does seem to come up at some point during the float. The experience seems to liken that of being on a psychedelic drug. People described their experiences as bringing out their creativity or making them take a closer look at their lives or the issues that are affecting them. Apparently, the more times that you experience floating in the tanks, the greater your ability to work through your issues becomes. The tanks are reported to help with problem solving, accelerated learning (whatever that means, I’ll have to research), stress reduction, pain relief, weight loss and creative thinking, to name a few. It costs about $40/hour. So…I’m sold! But wait…I’m SCARED! I feel torn, like this seems like it can be a beneficial and positive experience, but not without some consequences. I mean it is mind altering so that in itself produces apprehension. But knowing me, I’ll have to try it out for myself and use my courage to get me there. (I’m big on using my COURAGE.) Hopefully there will be a post in the near future describing my mind blowing (or not) experience in the sensory deprivation tanks (that name is SO freakin’ gloomy!) :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment